I am a Migrant Worker in New Zealand and My Employer Has Shut His Shop!

If your employer has shut his shop, then you don't have to worry. Read ahead to know what needs to be done.

"Migrant workers in New Zealand have been dealt a crushing blow today as it emerged that their employer has shut his shop and left them without jobs or income. This is just the latest in a long line of setbacks these workers have faced, and many are now left wondering what to do next."

Imagine reading this news and wondering what would happen if the same thing happened to you. Luckily, there are remedies to these situations and I will be telling you all about it.

Hi I am Inder Singh, a licensed immigration adviser based out of Auckland.  In this post, I will be discussing the different options available to migrant workers in New Zealand who have lost their jobs because their employer has shut his shop.

There are a few avenues you can explore if you find yourself in this situation. The first thing you should do is check your employment contract to see if you are entitled to any redundancy pay. If you are, your employer is legally obligated to pay you this. You should also check to see if you have any annual leave or sick leave entitlement that you can take. If not, you may be able to negotiate with your employer for some paid leave.

If neither of these options is possible or desirable, your next step is to look for alternative employment. You will need to have a valid work visa in order to do this, so if your current visa is tied to your old job, you will need to apply for a new one. Once you have sorted out your visa situation, you can start looking for a new job. There are many websites and resources that can help you with this, such as Job Seeker Support.

If you are struggling to find a new job, or if your visa is about to expire, you may need to leave New Zealand. This can be a difficult decision to make, but it may be the best option for you. There are many things to consider before leaving, such as whether you will be able to return to New Zealand in the future and whether you have family or other ties here.'

I can help you if you are facing a similar situation

And are not sure what to do next. As a licensed immigration adviser, I am able to provide you with professional and expert advice on your specific situation. Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to discuss your options further.

Thank you for reading.

Inder Singh

Licensed Immigration Adviser - Provisas

Book a Free Consultation

Book a Free Consultation