Do you want to get some work experience after you finish your studies in New Zealand? Immigration New Zealand (INZ) makes it possible for you to do so by getting a Post Study Work Visa. If your qualifications are acceptable by INZ, you may work with any employer for 1-3 years in almost any kind of job.
How do you qualify for a New Zealand Post-Study Work Visa?
You need to satisfy the following conditions to be eligible for a Post-Study Work Visa:
- You must have attended school in New Zealand, and must provide evidence showing completion of an acceptable qualification
- New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) must consider your qualification to be at level 4 or beyond
- A level 7 or higher qualification is acceptable if the course duration was at least 30 weeks
- 60 weeks or longer study of a level 4, 5 or 6 qualification is acceptable if you attained 2 qualifications of 30 weeks study each or more. Also, your last qualification must have a higher level than the first.
- You must have studied English – English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualifications do not count
Note that you can apply for a Post Study Work Visa only once unless you finish another bachelor’s degree level qualification or higher.
What is the length of New Zealand Post-Study Work Visa?
The duration of stay on a Post Study Work Visa varies between 1-3 years based on factors such as when you got your New Zealand Student Visa and where you attended school at.
Your Post-Study Work Visa is valid for 3 years if you obtained your Student Visa before August 8, 2018. However, if you got your NZ Student Visa after August 8, 2018, the length of your Post Study Work Visa depends on where you attended school:
- 3 years if your qualification is level 7 bachelor’s degree or higher
- 1 year if you studied in Auckland, and you have some other level 7 qualification
- 1 additional year if you are in the process of obtaining occupational registration with an agency included in a list of acceptable registration authorities.
- 2 years if you studied outside Auckland, and you finish some other level 7 qualification before December 31, 2021
- 1 year if you studied outside Auckland, and you finish some other level 7 qualification after December 31, 2021
- 1 year If you studied in Auckland and have one or more acceptable level 4, 5 or 6 qualifications
- 2 years if you studied outside Auckland and finish one or more acceptable level 4, 5 or 6 qualifications before December 31, 2021
- 1 year if you studied outside Auckland and complete one or more acceptable level 4, 5 or 6 qualifications after December 31, 2021
A Post-Study Work Visa allows your partner to work and your dependent children can attend free school like domestic New Zealand kids. You can also study for 3 months in 12 months.
As is clear from the long list of qualification criteria and multiple factors that go into determining the length of NZ Post-Study Work Visa, you must seek expert immigration advice to avoid making any mistakes.
What is the cost and time to get a Post-Study Work Visa?
INZ typically takes up to 51 days to process NZ Post Study Work Visas. However, any complicating factors related to your qualifications or the school you attended and other things like Character Issues or Health Issues may need specific handling and cause further delay.
Our Auckland based team of licensed immigration professionals works diligently to get your Post Study Work Visas quickly at the cheapest rate. Book a consultation to see how we can get your Post Study Work Visa most efficiently and cost-effectively.