Student to Residence

New Zealand Student Visa – If you are on a student visa you have a number of options that may be available to you to extend your stay in New Zealand. This includes applying for residence. This route to residence only applies in certain circumstances, and you must have a job offer.

New Zealand Student Visa

The process of going from a student visa to residence status takes two stages. The first stage is to get an Open Post Study Work Visa. It allows you to work for any employer and is valid for 12 months. Once that has expired you can apply for an Employer Assisted Post Study Work Visa. It is valid for two years, but you must have a job that is related to your qualification. After that you may be able to apply for residence.
Contact us

Resident Visa NZ – The Student Route

You can’t apply for residence as a matter of course when you are on a temporary student visa. There is a route available, however, depending on your circumstances. This page gives you an outline of the process, what you need to do, and what you should expect. It’s a complex process, though, so you should get help and advice as early as possible.

At Professional Visa Solutions, we have extensive experience helping students get on a path to a resident visa NZ. We are fully licensed immigration advisers and all members of our team are well-trained. Contact us today to find out more about your options of gaining residence in New Zealand.

Options for you if you’re an international student in New Zealand

If you are on a New Zealand student visa, or have studied towards an International qualification, you’ll probably want to get a job once you qualify and finish your studies. To remain and work in New Zealand, the best option you have is to apply for a Graduate Job Search Work Visa. You can only get this once your qualification you achieve, and it lasts for 12 months. That said, it lets you work in any job and for any employer. In other words, you don’t need to get a job related to your qualification.

Many students choose this route as it gives them time to find work in their chosen area. If, however, you can get work related to your qualification immediately, you can instead choose to apply for an Employer Assisted Post Study Work Visa. You can also choose to remain on your Graduate Job Search visa and then get the Employer Assisted visa so long you’re working in a job relevant to your qualification.

Here’s what you need to know about the Employer Assisted Post Study Work Visa:

  • It generally lasts for two years
  • If you’re working with the aim of becoming registered in your occupation, you can get this visa for three years
  • You need a full-time job offer
  • The job offer must be in the same area as the qualification you obtained studying in New Zealand
  • You can only apply for this visa once per qualification obtained

The Employer Assisted Post Study Work Visa can lead to a residence visa. For example, you may be able to apply for residence under skilled migrant category, or work to residence instructions, depending on your qualification/the work experience you gain and the type of employer you’re with.

The most important thing to remember, however, is that as a student who wants to work to residence, New Zealand immigration rules provide a pathway you can follow.

Get the Right Help

As you can see, it’s not a simple process. In fact, working to residence when your starting point is being on a New Zealand student visa is more difficult than many other routes. If you want to make NZ your home, it is possible if the circumstances are right and you get the best possible help.

When you call us, we will assess your circumstances, including the qualifications you have obtained. You will then get advice on your best route. We’ll then help you with every stage of the process, including applying for the Graduate Job Search Work Visaand/or the Employer Assisted Post Study Work Visa. We’ll also help you apply for residence when the time comes.
Get started by calling us today on 09 279 4576.